We got some more snow last night, only another 5 inches or so.
In order to feel like I'm accomplishing something while I'm waiting for it to warm up to at least 'freezing', I took out the windows on the drivers side so I can work on them in the basement where its a balmy 60 degrees. I'm not going to completely take them apart, just clean up the aluminium with fine steel wool and clean the glass inside and out. I tested a little spot using the steel wool and it looks 100 times better.
I also ordered the new butyl tape to seal everything back up as I reassemble the windows and vents etc..
After seeing the nightmare silicone job on our 68 trailer, I knew it had to be done the right way with butyl.
It won't harden over time and crack like silicone will and should prove to be 100% leak proof if I apply it right when I reinstall the parts that need sealing.
Its really cheap.. I got 1/4" by 3/4" by 20 foot rolls for less than $1.45 shipped each. Can't go wrong there~
Next update will be a 'before and after' on one of the windows..
Till then, here's a couple updated pictures..
Some windows out:
Windows in the basement ready for cleaning:
While the '71 is in the garage, The '68 is outside in the mounting snow: