Friday, January 28, 2011

Still darn cold..

Overnight temps are still down at zero and daytime is barely hitting 20..
We got some more snow last night, only another 5 inches or so.

In order to feel like I'm accomplishing something while I'm waiting for it to warm up to at least 'freezing', I took out the windows on the drivers side so I can work on them in the basement where its a balmy 60 degrees. I'm not going to completely take them apart, just clean up the aluminium with fine steel wool and clean the glass inside and out. I tested a little spot using the steel wool and it looks 100 times better.

I also ordered the new butyl tape to seal everything back up as I reassemble the windows and vents etc..
After seeing the nightmare silicone job on our 68 trailer, I knew it had to be done the right way with butyl.
It won't harden over time and crack like silicone will and should prove to be 100% leak proof if I apply it right when I reinstall the parts that need sealing.

Its really cheap.. I got 1/4" by 3/4" by 20 foot rolls for less than $1.45 shipped each. Can't go wrong there~

Next update will be a 'before and after' on one of the windows..

Till then, here's a couple updated pictures..

Some windows out:



Windows in the basement ready for cleaning:



While the '71 is in the garage, The '68 is outside in the mounting snow:

No comments:

Post a Comment